Composition and Yield Control
Actual or Absolute Cheese Yield (Ya)
- Quantity of cheese per unit of milk.
- Ya = Kg cheese / Kg of milk.
- % Ya = Ya x 100 = Kg cheese / 100 Kg milk.
- Limitation: meaningful yield comparisons can only be made between cheese of constant composition made from milk of constant composition.
Composition Specific Yield Expressions
- Adjusts actual cheese yield to constant or standard levels of moisture, fat, salt, and/or protein.
- Most common are moisture and salt adjusted yields.
- For example, moisture adjusted yield (Ymadj) can be calculated from actual moisture (Mactual) values and standard moisture values (Mstandard) as follows:
- Similarly moisture and salt adjusted yield (Ysmadj) is calculated as:
Considering that the Canadian cheese standard for Cheddar cheese moisture is 39%, calculate the moisture adjusted yield for a Cheddar with 37% moisture and 11% yield. Calculate the moisture and salt adjusted yield for the same cheese with 1.7% of salt.